Thursday, May 21, 2015

The dilemma of pain

I am in pain, most of the time. It is ironic that I cannot feel except for this pain. It's mostly nerve pain, but also body pain. It affects my mood and it makes life difficult for everyone around me. It's hard to stay positive, when you're in chronic pain. The problem is that my healthcare providers have taken the perspective that I don't need pain meds. When I came home from the hospital I was on a pain med regimen that called for one pill every four hours. My first primary care physician, reduced that to one pill every six hours. Of course, then I was assigned to a new primary care physician. The new physician, reduced my pain meds to one pill every eight hours. The last time I had an office visit my pain meds were reduced to one per day. Because I've been vocal about wanting my pain treated. I imagine I am being labeled as "med seeking." It is a vicious cycle. You have to advocate for yourself, but if you advocate for yourself, it may backfire in your face. I imagine it doesn't help that I'm on Medi-Cal. I make no apologies for being on Medi-Cal since I've worked for over 30 years. I have to wait one more year qualify for my Medicare benefits. Maybe I will get appropriate treatment at that time. My little sister was recently rear-ended while driving her motorcycle. She broke her pelvis and both legs. They sent her home from the hospital with five days of pain medications. She calls me today crying in pain and has to take an ambulance back to the ER so that she can get another prescription. I was told the same thing, "I guess you might have to go to the ER." From my perspective, this is unethical and inappropriate use of resources. It is just not right.

No comments:

Post a Comment