Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A comment

The following is a comment from a reader:I have a daughter who is what we call a para-quad, long story that I can tell you later, and a boyfriend who is a quad.  My daughter was diagnosed with Cancer at 6 months old and has never walked, I  have been her primary care giver while she's gone through multiple infections, procedures, and surgeries.  She is very independent now, but I'm still available to meet any needs that come up.  My boyfriend was hit by a car while on a bicycle 10 years ago.  He is experiencing chronic pain as well, quite a process I tell you.  He has MediCal and was seen through the county. Although his doctor had good intentions, the process is broken and extremely frustrating. A lot of doctors don't want to deal with MediCal and my experience has been that they tend to keep referring you to someone else and not accomplishing anything, and the follow-up takes forever. We have since moved his coverage to a hospital that has doctors who specialize in disabilities and/or spinal cord injuries.  The process is never quick enough, but so much better.  At the very minimum, they talk to each other and seem determined to help.  He is also being seen at UCSF, due to a referral for pain management. He talks about quality of life often and completely understand. My heart goes out to you and hope you find relief very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment