Thursday, October 22, 2015

Standing Up

I used to teach at Diablo Valley College. When I was injured and in the hospital, it did not occur to me that I had upcoming class until a few days before the class was scheduled to begin. I finally "woke up" and realized that I needed to call my supervisor and let her know what had happened. I assured her that I would be able to return to work the next summer. About six months before my class was to begin, I contacted my supervisor to set up a meeting to discuss what accommodations I might need. She told me, "we gave your class away." I was totally devastated because I love teaching, I am a good teacher, and this was a link to my future that gave me some will to keep fighting. Since then, I have learned some about the Americans with Disabilities Act. I found that I qualified to file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. I chose to do this because it really hurt me to lose that position and I wanted to know whether my feelings of being wronged were valid. I have volunteered to attend mediation regarding this issue and I'm waiting to hear if the college is willing to attend mediation. I contacted the Employment Law Center in San Francisco and was referred to a disability employment workshop in Berkeley where I would be able to meet with a lawyer to discuss the case. The Employment Law Center were very supportive of me and the issue that I have raised. It is my hope that I will be able to get the job back because I can do it with a reasonable accommodation. I will keep you all posted and in the loop. I know that I am not the only one that has experienced this sort of thing. I encourage everyone to stand up for themselves as the worst thing that can happen is that I will learn more about my rights. It may just be possible, that the employer will also learn how to be more culturally competent. Last but not least, I hope to be a good role model for students with a disability. I want to send a message that you can achieve your dreams and do what you want with or without a disability. So, I will keep you in the loop about what goes on and what I learn. Send good energy and good juju. Thank you for all the love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment