Sunday, September 20, 2015

Looking Towards Autumn

One thing you might not know about quadriplegics is that they lose their ability to automatically regulate heat and cold. Most people shiver when they're called or sweat when they're hot which helps them to regulate their body temperature. When I sweat it usually means that there is something wrong. I have to watch out for a thing called autonomic dysreflexia. My body has a backup system (all bodies. I suppose) that allows me to know when something is bothering my body, a.k.a. noxious stimulus. What this means is that if I have an ingrown toenail that is bothering me. I don't feel it, but sooner or later if it bothers me enough my blood pressure will start to go up and I may begin to sweat. This is my warning signal and once I am aware I need to take action. I will begin by taking my blood pressure every two minutes to see if it's rising. Then I have to find the noxious stimulus or the source of my pain. If I cannot find it, and my blood pressure continues to rise. I may need to call 911 or risk a possible stroke. So we have a checklist to review about possible causes of autonomic dysreflexia. We also have a handout to hand to the EMT technicians and/or emergency room physicians so that they know what action to take. I have to be able to help them understand because my experience shows me that they're not usually looking to read anything in these moments. So, we ran through the checklist and usually we find the source or the noxious stimuli. I have to be very careful about being in the heat or cold because it can trigger autonomic dysreflexia. All this to say it is too hot for me today and I look forward to autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment