Monday, August 24, 2015

Life is Sweet

I'm not sure that's the name of the song. It's one of Natalie Merchant's great songs that I hope someone plays at my memorial. Yes I think about things like that, doesn't everyone? Anyway, I'm not going anywhere soon, I have a plan. As you are aware, I am studying for my licensing exam. So easy to get distracted. I spent hours today trying to upload a photo from my phone. First I got lost trying to organize my photos on the computer. Finally I figured out how to upload the photo. I love the picture and have decided to take many more pictures. The woman with me is my partner, Colleen. We also took our baby punkin on a ride. We rode down to the park that punkin really likes. It was very nice to get out.

Another new development that I'd like to share with you is increased movement in my arms. This has allowed me to try all kinds of new tasks. I was able to hold a cup and drink the water in it.. I fed myself 75% of my lunch today. I'm trying to adapt my hand braces so that I can try to brush my teeth. I'm really excited about doing these things. My hands have been getting lots of sensation. In my mind I can see my fingers and thumbs moving.

I was so tired on Friday and Saturday that I gave myself the day off to rest. Besides studying for my test, I've been getting visits from all of the home health people. That eats up my day and my energy. However, I also got a visit from my aunt who just turned 80! It was great to see her and celebrate this milestone. We had a cake with candles and sat around telling funny stories. I learned for the first time that my mother, grandmother, and aunts and uncles lived in Compton. Actually, they lived there twice. My aunt shared that she went to 17 different schools. I always think about my grandmother and the struggles she had raising her family as a single woman in those days. I know that it was hard for her and she would be proud to see how we've all turned out.

Good news! I've begun to receive the equipment that the Department of Rehab is giving to me. This assistive technology will allow me to utilize my computer fully whether I am in bed or at my desk. I also received a book stand so that I can read a physical book. I'm working to figure out how to use a new Bluetooth earpiece which will allow me to answer my phone and probably do a lot more. I am very grateful for this help and I'm trying on to learn how to use it all so that I can make good on my employment plan.

So now I have to say goodbye so that I can get back to my studying. So long…

No comments:

Post a Comment