Monday, August 17, 2015

Look what I can do!

Today I accomplished a new action all by myself! I turned the TV off! Seems like a little thing, but to me it is huge and I'm very proud of myself.

I've been doing a lot of things by myself lately. First of all I have more muscles and sensation in my arms than ever before. So my arms have been contracted so they've looked like chicken wings. I have been able to stretch them out so they are beginning to look straighter.

The level of my injury caused my arms to have biceps but no triceps. I was unable to stretch out my arms. Recently I've regained my triceps and I'm making good use of them. I reach up and pull my microphone so I can speak into it. I've used my mouse and even clicked it. Every day all day long. I stretch my arms using my wheelchair for leverage. Every little bit increases my independence a little bit.I'll take any independence I can get even down to turning off the TV.

Good news today. On Friday I'll begin to receive the assistive technology that the Department of rehab has allowed me to get. I will be getting updated software, a bedside table monitor, a mouse that I can use, and a tool that will allow me to press keys on the keyboard. All of these items will allow me to utilize my workstation to my full capacity. I am very grateful to the Department of rehab. The DOR is an amazing resource for those who want to return to employment. They are also providing me with the study material that I need to take my licensing exam. Eventually I would like to apply to work for the DOR.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment