Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Truly listening…

First of all let me say thank you Siri for all you do for me. I have figured out how to access podcasts using my Bluetooth and today I got to listen to one of my favorites, This American Life. I recommend this weeks episode "Something Only I Can See." This story is a shining example of why really listening to someone is important. To be a good listener, one must set their own selves aside and hear another's experience. I love this story because I can relate so well. I can relate to having medical professionals tell me what I am experiencing or tell me what my reality is, without ever acknowledging that I may know myself. How wonderful to have someone listen to you, no matter how "crazy" you may sound. And guess what? Your experience may actually be true and more enlightened than even the most current scientific thinking. All of that being said, listen to this episode and tell me what you think.

This also leads me to recommend to you a new book by Clyde Dee, "Fighting for Freedom in America: Memoir of a "Schizophrenia" and Mainstream Cultural Delusions." It is an e-book and can be read on the Kindle. The author is a colleague and friend. In this book, Clyde shares his experiences with so-called schizophrenia in the most honest way. If you or someone you have known struggles with mental health and/or other experiences that are not easily explained, you may be able to appreciate this book. Just taking the time to really listen deeply to what another human has experienced is worthwhile. Not to mention, Clyde writes beautifully and courageously honest. I am very impressed with his work and I am honored to know him as a human being.

Last but not least, today I received a response from an inquiry I sent about a job in academia. Just think good thoughts for me as it would do me a great deal of good to have some work. Until next time…

By the way, if you want to respond to any post just send me an email at dr.Brendakay@Gmail.com. Please let me know if you're responses for my eyes only or if I may post it on my blog. I really love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment